GO WATCH THIS SHOW, HONESTLY IT IS SO AMAZING.
IF THIS POST CREATES 1 NEW PUSHING DAISIES FAN MY LIFE = MADE.
Alright let me help out then:
1) Most of the cast is female. In fact only two main characters are male.
2) Both male characters take typically non-masculine hobbies. Emerson Cod knits almost non-stop and makes pop-up books. Ned is literally called “The Pie-Maker” because he bakes homestyle pies from his mother’s method. Both are shown to be very nurturing and even maternal characters. Conversely, the women? A pair of professional travelling show performers that have gritty sexual scandals the way men usually get (see the entire “Chuck’s father” storylines), a beekeeper who is the single most positive and optimistic character imaginable, and a former professional jockey- Three of four pro athletes.
3) You could very easily make the claim Ned is asexual.
4) Yes, the storyline is about romance. But it’s also about the positive side of a love story, and their only drama lies in overcoming their inability to actually share contact.
5) A very good friend of mine recommended this show to me as “Disney for adults.” I told her it was already on my list to watch because “It’s by Bryan Fuller, from Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me.” Bryan Fuller is now most known for “Hannibal.” The same camera methods and bright colours and lighting techniques Hannibal is known for? Perfected in this show, just using a different tone- The same colour methods in reverse, upping the vivid greens and yellows instead of reds and blues, which sells emotion both ways.
7) Probably one of the best examples of a modern day fairy tale possible.
8) Narrated by Jim Dale- The narrator for the HP audio books.
I don’t know if anyone’s already added links to this, but all of these here work and if you hover over the links, an episode description shows :)
This post is the reason I started watching Pushing Daisies and I encourage everyone to do the same
I’ve posted this before but I’m posting it again because it’s just so important and really gets at the heart of why so much advice about procrastination, much of it targeted at people who have ADHD but are just considered “lazy,” fails. Before you can tell someone to “just do it already,” you need to think about the reasons they’re NOT doing it, like all the meanings they’ve attached to vague terms like “success” and “failure.”
That resonates too much. As I sit on tumblr at 1 in the morning, avoid studying for a test I have at noon today.
one of the worst moments in life is probably when you’re in a room full of people and you look around and see them all talking and laughing and all of sudden you feel so sad and lonely that you can even feel a physical pain in your chest because you realize that they all belong to someone and they all have someone who belongs to them and you don’t, you’re just kind of there
This is the moment when I’ve always felt the most like the queen of the universe, lonely as it is.
I’m cis*, and I want to write a character whose gender is non-binary, but I’m afraid of fucking up. How do thing?
First off, thank you for being afraid of fucking up. That tells me that you have some empathy and awareness going on, and those will be helpful to you as you craft your character. If you’re not at least a little concerned that your portrayal may be harmful, you may not grok the possible ways that your words can hurt non-binary folks.
Wait, you want me to be afraid? That’s messed up.
I mean, we’re not talking, like, me wanting you to get the nervous shits, here. That would suck, and I don’t see how it would help anyone. I just want you to be aware that you are writing from a position of privilege: if you fuck up, it’s non-binary people who will pay the price.
Okay. Privilege: I has it. Now what?
Now you do some really fucking honest self-assessing. I’m gonna need you to check your ego at the door, ‘cause this part of the process—hell, let’s not pretend otherwise, this whole process—is not about you feeling good about yourself. It’s about you getting a three-dimensional, respectful portrayal of a non-binary character on the page. You should be more invested in avoiding problematic writing than you are in avoiding discomfort.
Stuff you may want to ask yourself:
Comprehensive points for how to write about a three-dimensional person, who has a non-binary gender. Also useful to consider when writing about a real, non-fictional person.
I sometimes have to keep myself from commenting on posts about Steve Rogers and how his life was back in the day. Because WOW some folks don’t know anything about history!
Where are the posts about Steve snarling about Hoovervilles? How are people not taking advantage of how one of the reasons for the Great Depression was people buying shit they couldn’t afford on credit so he kinda is shocked that system IS STILL AROUND??? HOW ARE THE BANKS ALLOWED TO STILL DO THIS???
Where are the fics of him taking shit apart late at night when he can’t sleep because of how more efficient stuff is now! But he still hates starching his shirts. Why are there no machines for THAT. And yes Clint, we did have home appliances like washers back then. There were a lot of failed appliances that are no longer used today.
Don’t have him fumble with smartphones and the internet when he would LOVE seeing communication made easier! He saw his troops try to contact their families and how that was next to impossible. He would be so damn happy people can skype family on the other side of the world!
Imagine him bringing home some rabbits or pigeons to eat for supper one day. What do mean people don’t raise livestock in their apartments anymore? Not everyone can live on a farm for fresh meat Tony.
Imagine him FREAKING THE FUCK out of how BIG chickens are in the meat section. Because they are three times the size of what they were when he was a kid. But they sure don’t taste the same. None of the meat is the same. I mean he probably rarely ate meat. Some of it is better because of regulations. IMAGINE Hawkeye trying to freak Steve out when they get hotdogs and they’re a lot better than he remembers. Clint mentions it’s because they don’t throw rats in the vats anymore.
Just imagine historically accurate Steve. Imagine. Imagine him making shit up to fuck with Tony and Clint.
Hello, keeperofthehens, I think you and I should be friends.
Asked by thefreelanceangel
Tanith is one of our best. No one does what she does with language — that particular jewelled prose. Not to mention the stories that were delving delicately into alternative sexualities and genderednesses before almost anyone else in fantasy was doing it. I can’t imagine why people don’t make a much bigger deal about her. (And I’m not saying this just as someone who’s known her and liked her for a long time.)
This will sound funny, but one of the few places a writer has the opportunity to get much reading done is in the bathroom. All of Tanith’s books are in the bathroom. Seriously… I know of no higher praise; in this household anyway.